Wednesday, March 27, 2013

I tried ZUMBA !


It's so good to step out of your comfort zone and try new things.

My cousin Sonia came for a few days (not long enough, as far as I'm concerned) to visit. We had not seen each other in over a decade, but weird enough, from the second we saw each other, we were thrown into 11th grade again!

Needless to say, at some point, my honey hubby felt left out of the chit chatting and discretely left. We stayed up until 4 am, talking, rewinding old tunes of stories of the past.

So Sonia lives in Spain and, apparently, zumba is quite popular there. Well, it was so funny to hear that somehow, being confused for a Latina all the time, maybe subliminally brought her to this "latin fitness dancing - shake your bum bum" kind of gym class. And it's weird, because when I lived in the US, noone could ever figure out where I was from, and all Latinos, from Brazilians, to Dominicans or Puerto Ricans or Comombians would claim me: the beauty of mix ethnicity!

The class lasted an hour or so. The teacher was a gorgous cap verdean girl, fit and slim, just the way every girl would wish.... and she seemed very nice - which doesn't hurt.

This was definitely a different kind of experience for me, far from my yoga habit, but I have to say that I quite enjoyed it. After a couple of days, parts of my body are aching, like my butt or my shoulders and it's a good sensation. I feel like I touched muscles that when I do yoga, or maybe it's the rhythm or something. I'm going to try to do it maybe once a week, switch maybe one yoga session. Who knows, maybe at the end, my bod will kick ass like the cap verdean zumba teacher!!!!



My beautiful cousin Sonia in downtown Dakar

No comments:

Post a Comment