Saturday, May 19, 2012

Ayurvedic beauty 101: How to make basic ghee

In a path to natural and serene beauty, one has to be able to make decisions about how to life their life. That encompasses all aspects of beauty: inside and out.


Ayurveda is great, in that it helps to determine what works for each and every person - depending on their own personal characteristics and aspirations. Mind and body are concerned when deciding what type of food will best fit a person. It's not about the stress of not being able to fit in a two-piece bathing suit or plain crazy dieting. No. Ayurveda is about healthy body image. Everyone is made differently and beauty is in each and every one of us. But, as Ayurveda teaches, beauty is about what's been given to us as the lottery DNA gift; it is a lot more about nurturing what we got and improving what needs to be.


The starting point being positive body image. It's a pivotal aspect of any personal journey - deciding to be the best we can be, regardless of the media's imposition of what's beautiful after such and such runway season.


A positive body image also means accepting what we've got. It means embracing our curves, or lack thereof. It's about knowing what ingredients will boost an element that needs to, or which other ingredient will cleanse us, etc.


At first, I wondered whether I should talk about this part of my life and my young path towards spiritual and mental awakening. But I realize how it's all connected: If I'm not at peace with myself, with my qualities and imperfections alike, how can I open myself to know what needs improvement and what's already gorgeous? How can I also be serene enough to seek after the success of my projects and ideas? How can I just feel proud of my achievements once I reach them? It is all interconnected. Period.


The journey to changing from the inside out starts by making the decision; then sticking to it and congratulating myself when I see that I've made progress. It means changing my culinary habits - and thankfully, I'm curious enough in terms of food to be open to try new things (most of the stuff I eat looks weird to most people anyway!).


I'm not such a fried and oily food lover, but one is never too engaged. That's why I started substituting oil with Ghee (aka. clarified butter used in most Indian dishes). I switch between EVOO and ghee, depending on whether I want that "butter" undertone taste to the food I'm making. 


Enjoy.... until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment