Tuesday, April 10, 2012

My naturally curly hair journey - Now is year "0"

It's about time I talk about my hair!


I wanted to start fresh this year so, as part of my overall goal of glamorizing myself the natural way, I did the BC (aka the "Big Chop"). I had my hair cut in a bob style. I already had long bangs in the front, so I kept them, and I had the bob longer on the sides.


The main reason for this decision was that, after having 2 (wonderful) babygirls - almost 11 months apart from one another, I felt like my entire body needed nurturing. My skin had become a bit dull, and my hair split in all kinds of ways. Also, i had a lot of heat damage from numerous blowouts and flat ironing. 


Instead of hanging on to what was basically just thinning lifeless curls, I thought "why not just cutting it and starting anew". Which is what I did. 



All hairdressers will tell you that it's better to have short healthy hair, than long "bla" hair. It's something hard to conceive for most African women, always longing for the long hair we see on our favorite celebrities or models. I don't know if it's also the case in other communities, though.

As part of my new year resolutions for 2012, I also included some sort of clause basically saying that this time around, I will monitor the growth of my hair, and learn to understand it - its real nature and needs - to cater to it as necessary. I also will, as much as possible, use only natural products, made by myself or other cosmetic makers following the same philosophy.




Photo from Victoria's Secret.
PS: Beautiful model not included ;-)


To help myself, here's a chart I made to help me see at what point my hair is in its path. It's mine to use, not at all approved by any expert. 



My hair is now at neck length.  We are in April. With a presumed 1" growth a month + 2 trims of approx. 1-2" each time, I'm assuming that my hair will grow approx. 5" by the end of the year - which should bring it somewhere between shoulder and underarm length. 


At the end of the year, I will check whether all that turns out to happen - if yes, I will continue with my hair regimen; if not, I'll change what hasn't worked for me.


I will post my journey throughout the months via my youtube channel so I can go back and review the transition, step by step.


PS: My hair is not chemically treated (and I intend to keep it that way) unless it becomes too tedious.

No comments:

Post a Comment