Saturday, March 17, 2012

Saturday morning routine



Hello everyone!


So most mothers and girls of African descent, whether they're africans, african-americans, some latinas, and even those originally from the northern part of African, know that hair ritual for our daughters is something to take very seriously.


Actually, for us, beautiful hair is kinda always an issue!


We're told, from our youngest of age, that kinky, coarse, curly, thick hair is too difficult to manage - and more often than not, we are taught not to like our kind of hair. The term "bad hair" is sometimes used.


My two precious babies are no exception to the rule. At first, I was too lazy to really sit down and comb their (really) unruly hair. In Africa, nice nannies would do that for you - no extra cost! So that's what I did at first. But then, I would notice that whenever they would get their hair braided, my girls would often just cry and cry. Since they would call for me to come "help" them, I just thought they were just being capricious. I had forgotten that I went through the same thing when I was their age and how painful the process can be.


But what really rang a bell in my head what they I would hear the nannies tell the girls how they hair was difficult to manage, that I should probably think of having it chemically relaxed, and overall, the nannies - with all their good will - were just not very gentle.


So this is how my saturday morning hair routine started!


Today's no exception. I took the girls' girly baby vanities full of hair bands, barrettes, and all kinds of fantasy hair accessories - most of them in the favorite color of girl-land: pink and purple! I didn't have time to blink my eyes that the girls threw everything on the bed and started mixing their pick of the day - while watching Disney Channel's "The ten princesses of Disney". Their hair still wet, I proceeded mixing natural oils and butters, creams, leave in conditioners and what not, to allow brushing without tangling the tresses.



The tools

At the end, they were all pretty and precious. And for me, I just bought myself some ( hair ) peace.... until next saturday! :-))
Just one photo of Babygirl 2 because braiding her hair is much more of a challenge. Let's just say that she's a bit more "patience" challenged. Then again, she's only 2 y old! ;-)

The finished looks

No comments:

Post a Comment